Last updated on March 26th, 2022
JourneyWoman in the NewsThe Original Solo Travel Resource for Women
JourneyWoman provides media with an objective, honest perspective on women’s travel trends, tips and advice
As the original solo travel resource founded in 1994, we are respected and trusted by journalists around the world.
“As a woman who is passionate about exploring the globe, storytelling and empowering women, my ambition knows no limits for JourneyWoman. I am eager to expand JourneyWoman’s influence and inspire more women of all ages to travel as a means of self-discovery and learning.”
– Carolyn Ray, CEO, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, JourneyWoman
Carolyn on CTV Morning News (March 24, 2022)
About JourneyWoman CEO Carolyn Ray:
Living the Life of Her Dreams
An experienced traveller and writer, Carolyn grew up in Florida and has lived and travelled in more than 60 countries. In 2018, Carolyn made a radical decision – to rid herself of her worldly possessions and travel the world. She became the downsizing queen and slimmed down from a three-bedroom house to a few boxes and a backpack. Finally, she had achieved her dream – to live where and how she wanted.
In 2019, she was invited to continue founder Evelyn Hannon’s legacy of JourneyWoman by her family. Based in Toronto, Canada, Carolyn is on the board of the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) and a member of the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC). Connect with Carolyn on Linkedin here.
Evelyn’s daughter, Erica Ehm, Founder and CEO of Ehm&Co says. “Not only does Carolyn share many of our mother’s values, we believe her passion for travel and her strategic mindset will enhance JourneyWoman’s brand as a trusted source for women. We can’t imagine anyone better suited to extend our mother’s legacy.”
At the moment she is travelling full-time, currently in Mexico since October 2021.
- 12 Ways to Empower Women Through Travel (March 2022)
- Five Lessons Learned Living in Mexico During the Pandemic (January 2022)
- Should we Travel Now? It Depends on Your Mindset (November 2021)
- Why Women Will Save Travel : Global Study Shows How Industry Can Rebuild Trust Post-Pandemic (August 2020)
- Travel, Her Way: What Women’s Travel Looks Like Post-Pandemic (September 2020)
- Finding Freedom: Downsizing for Travel (January 2021)
- Planning a Life of Full-Time Travel (April 2021)
- Survey Says Women’s Safety is Still an Issue, Even Without Travel (May 2021)
Previously, Carolyn was the CEO of Interbrand Canada, the world’s largest brand consulting firm, which published the “Canada 150: Iconic Canadian Brands Report”. Named one of Canada’s top female entrepreneurs on the 2013 PROFIT/ Chatelaine W100 list, she is a Co-Active Coach and supports women entrepreneurs through mentoring, and as a SheEO Activator. She has served on several boards, and most recently was a Director on the Board of Myseum of Toronto, a non-profit dedicated to preserving Toronto’s history.
Regenerative Tourism Pioneer Anna Pollock Receives the 2022 JourneyWoman Award for Lifetime Achievement
Anna Pollock, Founder of Conscious Travel, is the 2022 Recipient of the JourneyWoman Award, given in honour of the late Evelyn Hannon, at the Women in Travel Summit.
Introducing the JourneyWoman 2022 Women’s Travel Advisory Council
Introducing our 2022 JourneyWoman Women’s Travel Advisory Council, which helps women prepare for post-pandemic travel.
Preparing for Your First Post-Pandemic Trip: Travel Advice From Women
Advice from women who have been travelling to help you prepare for a new world of travel starting with having the right mindset.
Trends in Women’s Solo Travel for 2022
What you told us about your plans for solo travel in 2022: there’s frustration and fear, but also hope and optimism.
Reconnect with Women at JourneyWoman’s “Women’s Travel Wisdom” Wellness Retreat
JourneyWoman and Girls’ Guide to Paris host wellness retreat for women to reconnect, their share wisdom and feel a renewed sense of purpose.
2022 JourneyWoman Award Finalists Announced!
Diane Edwards, Wally Funk and Anna Pollack are the three finalists for the 2022 JourneyWoman Award, in partnership with Wanderful.
TravelReady Thought Leadership Reports + Surveys
We regularly survey our global magazine subscribers to align with their needs and produce relevant editorial.
TravelReady is our commitment to elevate women’s confidence in travel. Through our editorial and virtual events, we create opportunities for positive, practical conversations, based on 28 years of experience leading the dialogue on female solo travel.
Our global community is made up of mature, active, adventurous women – the world’s most influential travellers
Most are Gen X and Baby Boomers:
- Independent, curious and courageous
- Women aged 55+ – many were the ”original’ solo travellers
- Women from over 120 countries
- Prefer to travel and live solo
- Enjoy history, art, adventure and active travel experiences
- Most have been part of the JourneyWoman community for over 10 years
We look at travel from a woman’s perspective:
- Trends in Travel
- Travel Safety
- Travel Readiness
- First-time Solo Travel Tips
- Packing Tips
- Fear and anxiety related to travel
- Marketing to mature women
- Prefer new destinations over tried and true
- Enjoy Slow Travel, Luxury, Adventure and Wellness
- Prefer small boutique hotels, homestays and friends and family
- Most spend between $3-5,000 per week on travel and take multiple trips a year
We work closely with women-owned businesses and related organizations that align with our mission to help women travel safely and well.
We donate proceeds from our activities regularly to non-profits that empower women.
Please direct any media inquiries you might have to firstname.lastname@example.org.